‘Meanbh-chuileag’, the Gaelic for midgie, is the name of Fèisean nan Gàidheal’s theatre-in-education project which produces and tours an annual theatre-in-education play aimed at Gaelic medium schools. The play and tour is produced through Fèisean nan Gàidheal’s education service Fèisgoil which is funded by Bòrd na Gàidhlig.
The main focus of the Meanbh-chuileag project is the production of a Gaelic language play for Gaelic medium schools and in particular is aimed at pupils in upper primary between P4 and P7. Occasionally productions are suitable for pupils for performances at secondary school Gaelic departments. Following a performance of the play pupils are usually given an opportunity to ask questions about the play and to participate in a drama exercise related to the topic.
In an effort to produce plays suited to the needs of the majority of schools Fèisean nan Gàidheal regularly contacts schools to seek their recommendations for subjects that would be beneficial to pupils.
- Meanbh-chuileag 2018/19: Nam Brògan-sa (In their Shoes)
- Meanbh-chuileag 2017/18: Teàrlach Fo Chasaid (Charlie in the Dock)
- Meanbh-chuileag 2016/17: Le Meas (Yours Sincerely)
For more information about Meanbh-chuileag plays and tours contact Angus Macleod at Fèisean nan Gàidheal on 01463 225 559 or email@example.com.
Curriculum for Excellence Outcomes
- I have experienced the energy and excitement of being part of an audience for other people’s performances
- My learning in, through and about the expressive arts is enhanced and enriched through partnerships with professional arts companies, creative adults and cultural organisations
I develop and extend my literacy skills when:
- I have opportunities to developing an understanding of what is special, vibrant and valuable about what is, for the majority of Highland pupils, their own culture and their language
- Extend and enrich my vocabulary through listening, talking, watching and reading.