‘Meanbh-chuileag’, the Gaelic for midgie, is the name of Fèisean nan Gàidheal’s theatre-in-education project through which we produce and tour an annual theatre-in-education play aimed at Gaelic medium schools. The play and national tour is produced through Fèisean nan Gàidheal’s education service Fèisgoil which is funded by Bòrd na Gàidhlig.
The main focus of the Meanbh-chuileag project is the production of a Gaelic language play for Gaelic medium schools and in particular is aimed at pupils in upper primary between P4 and P7. Occasionally productions also suit pupils at secondary school Gaelic departments. Following a performance of the play pupils are usually given an opportunity to ask questions about the play and to participate in a drama exercise related to the topic.
In an effort to produce plays suited to the needs of the majority of schools, Fèisean nan Gàidheal regularly contacts schools to seek their recommendations for subjects that would be beneficial to pupils.
A national tour of this year’s play will take place between the 24th of August and 9th October 2020.
- 2019/20: An Rabhadh (The Warning)
New Play Warns of Climate Change Crisis
- 2018/19: Nam Brògan-sa (In their Shoes)
Gaelic Cyberbullying Play Tours Scotland
- 2017/18: Teàrlach Fo Chasaid (Charlie in the Dock)
Bonnie Prince Charlie in the Dock
Young Pretender Tours North West Schools
- 2016/17: Le Meas (Yours Sincerely)
Gaelic Play Brings Syrian Conflict Closer to Home
For more information about Meanbh-chuileag plays and tours contact Angus Macleod at Fèisean nan Gàidheal on 01463 225 559 or email@example.com.
Curriculum for Excellence Outcomes
- I have experienced the energy and excitement of being part of an audience for other people’s performances
- My learning in, through and about the expressive arts is enhanced and enriched through partnerships with professional arts companies, creative adults and cultural organisations
I develop and extend my literacy skills when:
- I have opportunities to develop an understanding of what is special, vibrant and valuable about a culture & language that belongs to me and all who live here.
- I extend and enrich my vocabulary through listening, talking, watching and reading.